Utility Supplier Diversity Program
General Order (GO) 156 sets forth rules and regulations for California utilities’ WMBE programs. GO 156 encourages participating utilities to inform, recruit, and obtain at least 20% of their products and services from WMBEs. A subsequent CPUC decision, D. 95-12-045, established a 1.5% goal for Disabled Veteran Business Enterprises (DVBEs) bringing the overall Supplier Diversity goal to 21.5%.
The Commission reports annually to the California Legislature on the results of the utilities’ procurement diversity programs subject to GO 156. In the report, significant developments are highlighted and relevant trends are analyzed. Results are provided for MBE, WBE, and DVBE procurement, in both large and small utility company categories. The report includes an extensive set of tables providing detailed statistical information for comparison purposes among utilities.
The CPUC encourages businesses owned by women, minorities, and disabled veterans to get certified. Certification is free and there is no fee to apply or participate in the verification process. Qualified applicants are entered in a supplier database accessed by participating utilities throughout the state. Generally, certification is granted within 30 days of receiving the application and is valid for three years.
Why is Certification Important?
•Utilities can only include purchases with CPUC certified MWDVBE suppliers in its annual filings.
•Provides third party verification of ownership/control of businesses and protects both the supplier and the utility
•All Utilities utilize the CPUC Clearinghouse database when searching for diversity suppliers to include in bid opportunities
•Local, regional and national referrals of minority, women and disabled veteran owned businesses among utilities
•Access to utility sponsored educational/business development seminars, workshops, business development training.
Who qualifies for the certification?
• Eligibility criteria: At least 51% owned and controlled by women and/or minorities
How do you apply for this?
How do members apply for the certification?
For applications and more information contact the clearinghouse at:
www.thesupplierclearinghouse.com or Call (800) 359-7998
Drisha Melton, Supplier Diversity Liaison is able to help members to apply for certification
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Tele: 213-620-2688